As you may or may not know I’ve been “gymless” since mid-November. I had been going to the same gym for 4 years. Given my (until recently) unknown housing situation I decided to let my membership die and started trying other gyms close to work (some close to my current home, too). I’ve been using free trials, as well as voucher-type deals. It’s been a fun experience because I’ve been able to mix and match different training styles, settings, etc., while saving a lot of money.
I was surprised to see how many gyms offer trials and discounts, and also how desperate they are to get new members. It tells me the fitness industry is not doing so well. Too much competition, maybe.
I’m keeping a list of each place’s pros and cons to help me make a decision after I come back from holidays. I won’t share the specifics here because I don’t think they’d be useful, considering we all have different priorities. Also because I haven’t made a decision yet. I will say, however, that it has being interesting to realise that things like music and the number of squat racks are much more important to me than prices.
One of my favourite workout tunes… hard to find in most gyms
I have also noticed a shift in my preference between working out on my own vs. having a coach. Lockers and showers are a nice thing to have but I can shower at work, so it’s not a deal breaker. And pushy sales reps are definitely very off-putting.
These are the places I’ve tried so far:
- Primal NRG Fitness (St Peters): 1 week trial
- Camperdown Fitness (Camperdown): 1 week trial
- Fit n Fast (Westfield Sydney): 3 day trial
- Aspire Strength & Conditioning (McMahons Point) – Living Social voucher
- Hard Candy (Sydney): 1 day trial
- LivingWell (Sydney): 1 day trial
- Lululemon (Sydney): free yoga class in Hyde Park
- Life & Balance (Sydney): 2 week trial
- Fight Gym (Sydney): 1 day trial
I’ll keep this post updated with a few more places I’ll try in the next couple of months.